1. What did you want to be when you grew up, and how does it compare with being a DJ?
My uncle used to watch a lot of wrestling, so at first I thought I wanted to be a wrestler. At some point I realized I didn't exactly have the physical prowess to reach that goal, so I turned to radio and television. I started doing a TV show in high school, got into radio in college and worked for food (really). I loved it, and I got an offer to be on mornings on an AM talk station when I was 20. Am I surprised? Sure, it's not the WWE, but I get to do what I love every day.
2. What's your idea of a perfect day in San Diego?
My perfect day would include heading over to Coronado, Ocean Beach or Fiesta Island and going on a long walk. Then having a beer and fish tacos with family and friends in Ocean Beach. Or I'd go snorkeling or diving at the cove. All of those work. Actually, spending the morning with people I like and admire isn't too far off either
3. How did you end up in San Diego?
To make it in radio, it helps to move around. I did quick stints in Florida (where I was born), Washington, D.C., Philadelphia and Seattle. I've spent the last 12 years in San Diego, and I love it.
4. What's your favorite thing about San Diego?
I've traveled all over the world, but despite being stuck in traffic once in a while on the 5 or 15, I know I live in the most beautiful place on the planet.
5. What's your favorite song on the radio right now?
The autotuned version of the 5-year-old girl saying she'll have a career before she gets married. I take that back, anything autotuned.
6. You can only have 5 meals for the rest of your life. What are they?
1. Fried chicken, collard greens and my sister Steph's peach cobbler.
2. My brother's BBQ ribs and some watermelon.
3. Mary's emergency cheese quesadilla, with avocado!
4. My Aunt Lil's chicken and dumplings.
5. My Aunt Mamie's biscuits.
7. And what would you wash all that down with?
Some good Sweet Tea.
8. What is your biggest vice?
Wine. And Funyuns.
9. If you were an animal, what animal would you be and why?
A dog. They are the animal I admire the most. Sharing life with a dog teaches you that unconditional love is possible.
10. If someone wrote a biography of your life, what would the title be?
"The Crazy and Neurotic Adventures of a Radio Geek." A little long, but it works.