These words deserve to be banned forever from our vocabulary. This list was compiled as a reminder of what should never be said again.
Every year the list of words that need to be banished is released by Lake Superior State University in Michigan. This is the 34th annual list. According to LSSU, the list is made up of words that are so overused, misused or irritating that they need to be kicked out of the English language. Check them out, and start practicing NOT using them.
1. VIRAL - This is one that has been abused over the past year. Yes, that YouTube video of your cat is adorable. It does not, however, need to be described as a viral.
2. BFF - This one has clearly lost its meaning. There's nothing special about it now that everyone uses it.
3. EPIC FAIL - "Epic" is over. And so is "fail." The combination is just painful.
The Annual List of Words That Need To Be Banished Includes 'Viral' . . . 'BFF' and 'Epic Fail'
4. FACEBOOK and GOOGLE used as verbs - Are you going to "google" someone? Or have you maybe told someone to "facebook" you? Stop it. Stop it right now.
5. WOW FACTOR - This phrase is too annoying for words.
6. A-HA MOMENT - There were more utterances of this phrase than there were actual 'a-ha moments.'
7. MAN UP - There's nothing manly about saying this phrase.
8. THE AMERICAN PEOPLE - The year of the Tea Party gave life to this one.
9. I'M JUST SAYIN' - Then just say it - whatever you're saying, it doesn't require this qualifier.
10. LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST - You'll live a fuller life if you avoid this phrase.
11. REFUDIATE - Sarah Palin is responsible for this and the next one. Just a reminder to everyone out there: Refudiate isn't actually a word.
12. MAMA GRIZZLIES - *Shudder.*